Anon's WaveCel® Helmets
As we gear up for the season, let's face it: Your helmet is a priority. Of course, there are plenty of things to take into account when it comes to choosing your helmet. There's the fit, style, and most importantly, the incorporated helmet technology to help protect your brain. With all of these factors taken into consideration, let's explore helmets backed by science. This guide will cover everything you need to know about Anon's WaveCel Ski + Snowboard Helmet Line and WaveCel technology.
- What is WaveCel?
- WaveCel Introduction Video
- How Does WaveCel Work?
- What is Rotational acceleration and why is it harmful?
- How was WaveCel created?
- What is the Lifespan of a WaveCel helmet?
- The Anon WaveCel Ski & Snowboard Helmet Line Overview
What is WaveCel?
WaveCel is a helmet safety technology that's available exclusively for snow in Anon helmets, and is a collapsible cellular structure that lines the inside of your helmet. It behaves like a network of hundreds of interconnected shock absorbers connecting your head and the outer shell of the helmet, which we'll get more into below.
Check out this quick video below, speaking to the Anon WaveCel Helmet line, told by the WaveCel founders.
How was WaveCel created?
WaveCel is the brainchild of a bio-mechanical engineer and an orthopedic surgeon who wanted to address the problem of head injuries in people that engage in outdoor activities. It's the first advanced helmet technology to receive funding from the US National Institute of Health.
- Dr. Michael Bottlang is the founder of the Legacy Biomechanics Laboratory in Portland, Oregon. Since 2002, he has continually received research funding from the US National Institute of Health along with the Department of Defense. The US Army and medical field have since adopted his inventions throughout Europe and North America and now influence patient care around the world.
- Dr. Steven Madey is an award-winning orthopedic surgeon specializing in hand and microvascular surgery. In 2017, he founded Go To Ortho, an on-demand urgent care clinic in Oregon that treats muscular-skeletal injuries outside of the costly ER setting. He and Dr. Bottlang have collaborated for 25 years, pioneering advances in fracture care, thoracic and pelvic trauma, and head injury prevention.
How does WaveCel work?
WaveCel® technology reacts in a three-step process to help protect your brain. It helps distribute the impact energy through its network of cells, helps reduce impact forces like the crumple zone of a car, and then helps divert rotational forces by flexing and gliding. Basically, it works like a crumple zone that helps absorb the force of an impact before it reaches your head.
In order to help protect your head and assist in absorbing energy created by an impact, WaveCel goes through a three-step change in material structure.
To help understand the process of how WaveCel works, we keep it simple. This is a three-step change referred to as Flex, Crumple, Glide.
1 Flex: First, the cells flex to help reduce the initial friction forces.
2. Crumple: Next, the cells crumple like a car bumper upon impact.
3. Glide: Finally, WaveCel glides to help redirect energy away from your head.
What is rotational acceleration?
Rotational acceleration is the rapid spin of the head caused by an impact. Higher rotational accelerations carry a greater risk of brain injury. To illustrate the harmful effects of rotational acceleration, check out WaveCel's "Egg Test video" below.
The Anon WaveCel Ski & Snowboard Helmet Line
The Anon WaveCel Helmet line delivers industry-leading technology in various styles, colors, and fits for adults and kids. With premium features and materials incorporated, we've got a helmet for everyone. Find everything you are looking for and more with the Anon WaveCel Ski & Snowboard Helmet Collection.
Here are some key product features that you can expect from each Anon WaveCel helmet model:
- WaveCel® Technology behaves like a network of hundreds of interconnected shock absorbers connecting your head and the outer shell of the helmet. WaveCel® helps distribute the impact energy through its network of cells, reduces impact forces like the crumple zone of a car, and then helps divert rotational forces by flexing and gliding.
- A Fidlock® Snap Helmet Buckle uses magnets to allow you to open and close the buckle with one hand even when wearing gloves.
- The 360° BOA® Fit System features a fit dial just below the helmet shell that provides micro adjustments in a complete halo around the wearer's head.
- Close-to-Head Fit: WaveCel helmets are designed to fit closer to the head, providing a snug, comfortable fit. Please refer to our sizing chart available on each helmet product page for accurate measurements. If you are in-between sizes, you may want to size up.
The Merak WaveCel Helmet
The Merak WaveCel Helmet is fully loaded with 19 ventilation channels, WaveCel protection, and premium comfort and fit features in a durable hybrid molded construction of the ding-resistant durability of an endure-shell on top and a featherweight in-mold construction on the bottom.
The Logan WaveCel Helmet
The Logan WaveCel Helmet features advanced protection with premium fit and comfort features in a low-profile, lightweight style with an in-mold construction featuring a lightweight shell.
The Oslo WaveCel Helmet
The Oslo WaveCel helmet features a micro-adjustable fit, fleece-lined warmth, and a lightweight feel with an in-mold construction featuring a lightweight shell in a sleek, low-profile style. The Oslo also has fixed vents, featuring passive ventilation channels to help draw fresh air in from the front and pull moisture out the back. The Oslo is also available for the kids, check out theYouth Oslo WaveCel helmet as a well-rounded option for the family.
The Windham WaveCel Helmet
The Windham WaveCel Helmet features a durable hardshell design, and one-hand fit adjustability for distraction-free comfort. The Windham helmet is also available in youth sizes, making it the perfect low-profile fit for young skiers and snowboarders alike, check out theYouth Windham WaveCel Helmet now.
For more information or questions about Anon's WaveCel Helmet collection, feel free to reach out to one of our specialists HERE.